Fonticulus Fides

Monday, June 16, 2003

A nice big, loving and belated "Happy Father's Day!" to my husband and all the dads out there in St. Blog's.

I wish I could say we celebrated in a way that was appropriate for my husband, who really is a great dad. Unfortunately, I hadn't really been paying attention to the calander all week -- I thought Father's Day was the week after -- and then I've been ill, so I didn't have the wherewithall to do something special for the man. Shame on me -- he really deserves it. I couldn't have asked for a better parenting partner. My husband is very attune to our kids, kind and patient and loving as a parent can be.

Anyway, he had a busy day himself. He played guitar for the baptism service of a casual friend's newborn, then returned home so we could all go to Mass together. We went out to a favorite restaurant for a late lunch, and then shortly after that, he was off to a gig, playing in a band for a friend of ours.

My husband hasn't gigged near as much as he used to before we had kids. Part of it is the time commitment, part of it is simply that gigging locally has lost a lot of the allure it used to hold. Every time, it's the same collection of frustrations. (Note to bands of all music styles and ages: rehearse ahead of time so you don't hog the whole sound check running through your entire set list, leaving the other bands without their sound checks. Also, if other bands follow your set, it's common courtesy to stay and watch them perform, just like they watched you.)

Much to my chagrin, the fathers among them compared Father's Day gifts, and I had unfortunately not come through this time. When asked, my husband truthfully said that I'd given him the credit card and told him to go to his favorite parody site to buy himself a fun souvenier. They all laughed. My husband says it was jealous laughter, if there is such a thing. Anyway, I'm sorry, dearest, and I'll make it up to you soon.

--Sparki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home