Fonticulus Fides

Monday, April 21, 2003

"Taste and see that the Lord is good!"

I forgot to write about what it was to receive Our Lord for the first time. And now that I have remembered to make a note of it, I find the words of the English Language completely lacking.

I didn't know what to expect. I tried to prepare myself for this wonderful moment, perhaps in an attempt to sear the experience in my brain so I would never forget, never lapse into complacency. I had feared I would have doubts about the True Presence, but there were none.

In retrospect, receiving Holy Communion was amazingly simple. And I love that. I love the fact that it wasn't a riot of flavors like a good Indian curry or a bubbly sensation like champagne or anything like any other edible experience I've ever had. I love the fact that it was a bite-sized amount, not a mouthful. It was basic and pure and plain and holy. Like grain is a basic building block of most meals (bread, rice, noodles, etc.), Holy Eucharist is the basic building block of spiritual food.

I want to go to Mass again and again and again. I want to keep receiving Our Lord this way. And I want to be worthy to receive Him that way.

Which is why I have to wait again. I had a frustrating few moments this morning, and my mouth got ahead of me: I took the Lord's name in vain. Siiiiiiigh. I was instantly sorry, but the deed was already done. I've been Catholic all of 40 hours and I'm already screwing up. Well. On to confession again this week.

At least there is absolution when one is Catholic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home