Fonticulus Fides

Friday, May 02, 2003

Yawwwwwn. Is there a patron saint for mothers of sleepless babies? Or sleepless babies themselves?

The baby is in one of those odd can't-sleep stages that happen every now and again. Usually in connection with some sort of developmental advancement. She's so busy climbing stairs and cruising furniture and trying to vocalize, she doesn't want to rest. Naps are fitful and short. And my little cuddle-bug who stayed down for a good 9 or 10 hours straight at night can no longer bear to sleep for more than two before she wakes up bucking and kicking and raring to go. I don't let her get up and play because I'm trying to encourage quiet and rest all night long, but she needs a little nursing or back massage or something like that until she dozes off again. Otherwise, she'd wake everybody up instead of just me.

Three nights in a row now...or is it four? It can't last much longer, these things rarely do.

I remember when she was only three months old, and she was going through a growth spurt and nursing every hour and a half or two hours, day and night. That was much worse for me than this. I was downtown running a couple errands one of those days, and I thought a little sugar rush would give me an energy boost, so I stopped in a cookie shop for an oatmeal scotchie. On the way out, I couldn’t open the door, which was clearly labled PUSH. "I am pushing!" I stormed...all the while pulling on the door. Boy, was I tired!

Well, it will change again soon, I know. Just when I've adjusted to taking a series of naps all night instead of sleeping straight through. She's worth it, so I really don't mind all that much.

I hope God feels the same way about me when I'm in one of my needy states!

--Sparki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home