Fonticulus Fides

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I've been memed!

I don't think I've ever been memed before, so this was new to me. And I'm late doing it, as I missed it over Quo Vadem Ed Ad Quid?. Thanks, Jeff -- this was fun!

1. One book that changed your life:

Whew...at which point in my life? I’ve had several turning points in my life. Hinds Feet on High Places and Mere Christianity were crucial to my early days as a Christian. On Being Catholic and Evangelical is Not Enough by Thomas Howard and Dancing Alone: The Quest for Orthodox Faith in the Age of False Religion by Frank Schaeffer were instrumental in my journey to Catholicism.

But if I absolutely only can pick one, it must be To Kill a Mockingbird because it’s the one that made me want to be a writer and believe that I could be a writer.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:

Aaaaaack! I’ve read so many books more than once, including most of the ones mentioned in the last question. Only one again? I guess I’d have to pick the one that I’ve read most often, which again would be To Kill a Mockingbird (I’ve read it every year since I was 8).

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:

A huge tome of Catholic prayers and psalms, as I imagine I would have much time to pray.

4. One book that made you laugh:

Emma by Jane Austen, a delightful look at human nature.

5. One book that made you cry:

A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis.

6. One book that you wish had been written:

Catholic Parenting for Converts. I know there are lots of good Catholic parenting books out there, but most of them assume that the parent is well-versed in Catholicism. It’s a bit harder to raise your children Catholic when you’re still new to the Faith.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:

Anything that promotes terrorism, ethnic cleansing, pedophilia, and other crimes against humanity.

8. One book you’re currently reading:

Glimpses of the Church Faithers edited by Claire Russell.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:

Only ONE again? Siiiiiiiiiigh,

Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux

Now, whom do I tag? RO can answer in the comments box, as she is still blog-less. And if Jenny at Cor Immaculatae hasn't done it yet, let's hear from her.

--Sparki

2 Comments:

  • Thanks, Sparki.

    1. The only one I can think of is, appropriately, the Bible. I read the New Testament on my own as a depressed 12-year-old who had ceased to believe in the religion of my family and my school, and began to believe in Jesus and Christianity again, although it took me time to embrace Catholicism again.
    2. The first one that comes to mind is Catcher in the Rye. Haven't read that in years though.
    3. I think the Bible would be the best choice. I want to start reading it more soon anyway.
    4. Um... I had this book that detailed various episodes of the Simpsons. I forget the title.
    5. Not sure. But there may have been one, or more than one.
    6. I thought about this for a bit with no clear answers. How about a book that would have helped homeschooling break as much into the mainstream as it now is earlier, during my childhood? It's not a great regret of mine to not have been homeschooled, but I think it could've smoothed things out a great deal had it seemed like a realistic option at a couple of points.
    7. Too many to choose one.
    8. There's one called something like The Forest for the Trees: An Editor's Advice to Writers.
    9. Brideshead Revisited.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:35 PM  

  • By Blogger Jennifer Donelson-Nowicka, at 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home