Fonticulus Fides

Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Scones for breakfast this morning. I like these because they're fairly healthy and not too sweet, but easy to eat. A nice change of pace. My recipe is called "Scottish Oat Scones" but I don't know for sure how Scottish they really are.

Scottish Oat Scones

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 cups oats (quick oats for finer texture, rolled oats if you like things grainy)
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup melted butter
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten

1/2 cup dried currants or raisins

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in butter, then milk and egg. Stir just till moistened, then stir in dried fruit.

Turn dough out onto a non-stick cookie sheet and pat into a large circle about 3/4" high. With a rubber spatula, separate the circle into 8 or 12 wedges. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden.

For the record, I usually leave out the cream of tartar, which makes for a crumbly texture. I tend to eat these on the run so I prefer them to be more cake-like (less messy). Also, instead of making one big disc divided into wedges, I usually make 9 individual discs, also 3/4" high, which adds to the "portability." I imagine any dried fruit would work, as long as it was small pieces. I plan on trying dried apples this fall and dried cranberries at Christmas time -- I'm thinking about making baskets with fixings for Christmas breakfast, like a hot drink mix, scones, sweet bread, biscotti, a small bag of good quality coffee, and some fruit. September and planning for Christmas gifts already!

--Sparki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home