Fonticulus Fides

Monday, March 15, 2004

Evil has no denomination

We decided to convert to Catholicism pretty much at the height of the clergy sex abuse scandal, and a lot of our Protestant friends thought we were nuts. "How will you protect your kids?" they wondered.

I said it then and I'll say it again -- I'll protect them in the Catholic Church the same way I'd protect them in any Protestant church, because evil has no denomination. Pedophiles set themselves up in jobs or volunteer work that enables them to gain the trust of parents so that they can get their victims alone. The Catholic priesthood is one such position. But one of many -- any clergy role will do. As will teaching, scout leadership, counseling, etc.

I'm sorry to report that a minister/scout leader has been charged right here in my own city. And guess what -- he was previously convicted in another state 30 years ago.

I don't care where you live or what religion you are -- you have to protect your kids against pedophiles. You have to actively protect them, because you never know where these creeps are lurking.

--Sparki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home