Fonticulus Fides

Thursday, November 11, 2004

If you ever get the opportunity...

...to see Emmy Lou Harris and/or Buddy Miller live, you should do it. If you like that sort of music (and I do). They were here in Lincoln last night, and my husband had bought us tickets for my birthday present. What a great show! First, Buddy sang with just his guitar(s) -- he's got a crazy collection of funky-sounding guitars. Emmy Lou sang back-up for him for a couple numbers. Then after intermission, Emmy Lou sang with just her guitar, and Buddy came out to play and sing back-up for her. As we were leaving, Buddy was out in the lobby, so my husband got his autograph and posed for a quick photo (taken by a guy with a cell phone camera, whom I hope will e-mail it to us!).

Emmy Lou has a fantastic voice and a way of singing a song that makes your heart bleed. She's really personable, too -- an usher handed her a note that said there was a girl named after her in the audience, and she asked who it was. Then she said, "I've had horses and dogs and speed boats named after me before, but never a child. I'm honored!" Everybody laughed.

If you've never heard of Buddy Miller before, you're missing out. He's a great guitarist (folk, Americana, country) and a really good country singer. I'm not a huge country fan, but I do like folk and Americana, so hearing Buddy sing is enjoyable to me. I've been listening to his wife, Julie (who has more of a funk/pop sound) for many years, and they are considered to be two of the best songwriters in America today. There songs have been covered by a whole lot of artists and often carry Christian themes. Buddy's new album is just terrific, so you might want to give it a listen.

Okay...that's probably it from me today. All of us are fighting off some sort of virus. I have laryngitis, DH & Zooey are coughing, and all five of us have the tiniest bit of a runny nose. Mostly, we all just want to laze around the house...but whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be too awful.

--Sparki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home