Fonticulus Fides

Friday, July 27, 2007

So...what's been going on?

Okay, since I spoke with you last...

My husband's cousin moved in with us for the summer...now until October.

My brother-in-law got married. They eloped on July 3 because he got a job in Kentucky and they wanted to sign a lease as husband and wife. They're having a wedding in late August.

My brother-in-law, his new wife, his daughter and step-daughter all moved to Kentucky...with his ex-wife and her new husband. It's a long story. But the gist of it is, the ex's new husband got a job and said he couldn't take it unless both of his step-daughter's parents moved together because they have joint custody. So they all shopped my brother-in-law's resume around and he got a very good job and they all moved together.

Several relatives have confided in us that they are having severe marriage problems, so we have been in prayer for them and attempted to do a Novena as a family, with middling results.

Lola, my youngest, started singing the final hymn at Mass at the top of her lungs, but since she can't read, she'd just sing, "Bye, Father...Bye, Father...Bye, Father" over and over again. Now I whisper the line in her ear right before we sing it (as much as I can, anyway). She thinks she needs to be in the choir now. Sister Mary, our liturgist and choir director, thinks it's hilarious.

Lola also got three stitches just above and perpendicular to her right eyebrow when she and one of our cast-iron radiators had a falling out. We thanked God it wasn't worse -- a few inches closer to the radiator when she tripped, and she would have had a serious head injury. She was very brave, and by the next day was so darn proud of herself, she attempted to stop Mass to tell Father all about it. (He was a good sport, thankfully!)

I met a really interesting young man whom I interviewed for the Catholic paper. His parents had a fascinating way of training their kids to perform works of mercy. I'll post it soon, I promise.

I also met a lot of other interesting people through the paper.

School ended for my kids -- Zooey was promoted to 3rd grade. Edyn will be in Kindergarten and will love it (although she's dreading it at the moment).

All the kids had swimming lessons and did well.

My husband has been hired by the Academy of Rock, a local after-school program for middle-schoolers. He'll be teaching various instruments (guitar, bass and keyboards) as well as electronic music (for rap and hip-hop) and possibly a class in recording. The pay is lousy, but it's work he can be proud of. He's also thinking about becoming a substitute teacher to round out our income a little bit.

Then there is the usual stuff, like car repairs, a leaky toilet, painting the girls' bedroom, and so on.

So, how are you?

--Sparki

2 Comments:

  • glad to see that you are back! pop over and read the chronicles of my new grandbaby.

    By Blogger alicia, at 9:49 PM  

  • One of my four year-old girls is an aspiring singer as well, scat-singing along with the Mass. I can't fault her enthusiasm, as she sings more than most of the other folks around us. C'est la vie.

    By Blogger Brother James, at 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home