Fonticulus Fides

Tuesday, July 06, 2004


"There's nothing worse than bad drains..."

That's a quote from some British novel I read a while back, and I've been racking my brains all day trying to figure out which one. I've got it narrowed down to either A Room with a View or Busman's Honeymoon. (Didn't know I was a Dorothy Sayer's fan, did you?) Seems to me "Poor Charlotte" had bad drains and that's why she came to stay with Lucy that dreadful summer Lucy was engaged to Cecil. But I also think that drains were the issue with Harriet's childhood home, which Lord Peter purchased as a wedding gift. So maybe it was both.

Anyway, I wish I had time to read those fun novels to find out which one it's from. But alas, a bad drain means having the rooter man in and lots of cleaning up with bleach and scrubbing mechanisms and lots of laundry piled up for three whole days because nothing ever goes wrong at our house unless it's a holiday weekend when laborers tend to charge double. I am very thankful though, that the rooter man is the brother-in-law of a friend of mine, both nice to work with and reasonable. We are only $100 poorer for this and were expecting it to be at least two-and-a-half times that.

--Sparki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home