Fonticulus Fides

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Giggles...

Alicia made me laugh with this list of funny Christmas carols.

Speaking of Christmas carols, Zooey was singing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" the other day, and one line came out, "...Peace on earth and Mercer Mayer..." Mercer Mayer is one of his favorite children's authors (the Little Critter series).

Our little Edyn is completely enthralled with the Christmas tree and gives regular "ornament tours" to anybody who will sit with her long enough to point out her angel, her snowman, her Pooh, her brother's Pooh, etc., etc., etc.

Lola, meanwhile, has turned out to be one of those kids who shakes packages relentlessly. If we ever lose track of the baby, all we have to do is look under the tree. There she is, picking up each bright package and shaking her little heart out. I don't think she even realizes there is something underneath the pretty ribbons and paper yet.

...and Glories

Zooey sang with his schoolmates in the annual Christmas program. My in-laws came and were terribly impressed that not only did the Kindergarteners have to learn 8 songs (many adult-level hymns!), they sang in harmony with the other grades AND stood holding their battery-operated candles for an hour and 20 minutes without squirming. (I love the fact that this school believes all students should learn self-discipline as early as possible!). Zooey sang with all his might and did a great job. And yes, I had tears of motherly pride in my eyes.

Zooey also dove headfirst into the Christmas spirit and wrote out a list of eleven teachers/staff memeber whom he wanted to bless with a Christmas gift this year. We made our angel ornaments out of copper-finished tin (embossed and rolled into 3-D shapes), and he packed them up in small gift bags for his two classroom teachers, the librarian, the computer instructor, the P.E. teacher, the office ladies, the principal, and even the janitor! He painstakingly wrote out thank-you notes to each person (I provided a "translation" in adult penmanship) to include with the gift.

I'm taking Edyn shopping tonight so she can pick out things for her brother and sister. I don't like waiting until the last minute by any means, but Edyn can't keep a secret yet. She's in a generous spirit these days, though, offering hugs and sharing toys like crazy. I must have dozed off while I was cuddling up with her the other night, because I woke to the feeling of a small hand cradling my cheek. When I opened my eyes, she was smiling at me in the dark. She deposited a kiss on my forehead and said, "Go back to sleep, Mommy. I'm right here..." She's going to be a great mom someday!

Lola has also started kissing -- that wonderful open-mouthed smack that babies do. And I was thrilled at Mass on Sunday when she started humming along as we sang, matching our pitch quite well. Another musical child!

Gifts

I've spent more than I intended, but my dear husband got a good freelance check a week ago, so I was comfortable splurging a bit. Zooey is getting a small guitar, Edyn's getting a little accordian and Lola's getting a piano-style xylophone. Zooey also gets a bat house, Edyn a clock that teaches children to tell time (FAO Swartz, brand new in the box, but I got it at a thrift store for cheap!), and Lola will get some bath toys. Each child will get a book, and in their stockings a new toothbrush, a chocolate Santa and a harmonica. Zooey also gets a stapler and Edyn will get new crayons.

My husband gets an air purifier for our bedroom and some guitar strings. I was also going to give him a new hose for his shop-vac (the old one is cracked, destroying any suction power), but he was going to buy one today, so I had to give him that present this morning.

Hmmmm...I think I have some wrapping to do!

--Sparki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home