Fonticulus Fides

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Strange but true trivia from my life...

Tuesday night was the monthly parent-teacher meeting for St. Mary's Elementary school. My husband, however, threw a wrench into that by scheduling a hair cut for Zooey at exactly the same time the meeting began. The kid really did need a haircut, so we agreed that my husband would take Zoo to the hair place (which is only 3 blocks from our house -- the joy of living downtown!) and I would take the little girls to the PTA meeting in the church basement.

So, I'm sitting on a metal folding chair with two little girls squirming on my lap (both were too shy to stand on the floor in front of me or sit in their own chairs) while the principal and Fr. W are handing out Honor Roll certificates, and I notice another mom a few rows up who also has a squirming 2.5- or 3-year-old on her lap. This kid was hard to miss because he had a mohawk. A real, honest-to-goodness mohawk, with the sides shaved off and a 2-inch wide strip of spikey brown hair strutting down the middle of his head. I was just incredulous. Are those back in? Not that Fr. W. would let any boys wear them to school, of course.

After the meeting, I got the girls home and wondered where my husband and Zooey were, since his haircuts only take about 15 minutes. In walks my two guys, with Zooey's hair sufficiently snipped all over and kind of spikey (he can't help it -- he has a head full of cowlicks!). And then I look at DH, who had decided he needed a new 'do himself. And he'd gotten a faux hawk!

It's better than a mohawk. Honest.

Since he's a musician, DH is used to changing his hair a lot. I helped him dye it dark purple shortly after we were married, but it's so dark anyway (almost black). hardly anybody noticed and he was disappointed. He wore it long for a while -- shoulder length -- and I liked that because he has this gorgeous widow's peak and the way a front lock of his hair flopped over his right eyebrow just made me want to kiss him... He's been wearing a flat top since Edyn was born, and that's nice, too. But the faux hawk is supposed to be cooler. I guess somebody named Beckham and somebody else named Jude Law wear them?

I need to get out more.

--Sparki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home