Fonticulus Fides

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Yo, Wycliffe – hire a better letter writer!

I received the weirdest letter from Wycliffe Bible Translators yesterday. They got my name off some list, I suppose. If you’ve never heard of them, they are a Protestant organization whose mission is to translate the Bible in every single language on the planet. I think (but I am not sure) their goal is to get Jesus to come back sooner, because, you know, the Bible says He won’t return until His Word is taken to every nation.

Anyhoo, the gist of the letter was that I needed to prepare for some “shocking” news: in an East African nation ravaged by civil war for 21 years (they used the code-name “Sacah” to protect their employees there...like I can't figure out that it's probably an acronym for Sundan Africa Call for Additional Help or something like that), the Wycliffe office is running out of money, and they may have to lay off some employees. Horror of horrors, some of those employees are so intelligent and capable, they will immediately get jobs as pastors or bishops in African Protestant denominations.

So please send money.

Frankly, I’m having trouble figuring out why it’s so darn awful for these wonderful Bible scholars to be ministering directly to people. I mean, even if they aren’t locked in an office somewhere, painstakingly working on a translation of the Bible, they’re still bringing the Word of God to people. So if Wycliffe wants money from me, they’re going to have to come up with a better reason than that.

--Sparki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home