Fonticulus Fides

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Where I’ve been

Teaching Edyn how to roller skate (she loves it!)…

Reminding Zooey how to roller skate (It’s been a while, but I finally found a pair of skates big enough for him at a thrift shop…though he’ll outgrow them by years’ end to be sure).

Trying to keep track of all the new words Lola can say…

Walking everywhere we can to save on gasoline, even picking Zooey up from school on foot (it’s about a mile away from our house)…

Marveling that I actually was elated to see gasoline drop to $3.09 a gallon…

Watching too much CNN…

Praying for hurricane victims…

Praying for Kaylie’s family (saw a smile on her dad’s face for the first time since she took a turn for the worse and died. God is merciful, and they take such great comfort in knowing that He would never abandon their sweet Kaylie)…

Writing stories for the paper (though I got bumped from last week’s edition because of the hurricane)…

Finding out that M’Lynn is expecting again!!!!

Blowing some of my last check from the paper on a family outing to the children’s zoo (we walked and brought our own drinks and snacks, and Lola is free, but it was still $32!)…

Fretting that Zooey is so bored at school (they are still “reviewing” and we reviewed all summer, so he’s getting irritable about not learning anything new)…

Arguing with the local bike shop owner because all the tail lights he has in stock are made in China. He said there was no other option, but I told him I didn’t believe him and he should try harder because of China’s human rights violations. I had to buy the light anyway, because my husband is riding his bike to work now, and it’s dark before he gets home. It’s illegal to ride without a light at night. The bike shop guy gave me a 20% discount on the headlight – which was made in Japan – and a 50% discount on the made-in-China tail light and said he would try harder in the future…

Finishing the magazine (this week, please, please, please!!!)…

And that’s just the highlights.

So, how are YOU?

--Sparki

3 Comments:

  • Tired... if I understand correctly, coffee has acrylamide, acrylamide gets into breastmilk...

    Wow, someone else doing the don't-buy-from-China thing is so heartening. I actually found a Fisher-Price ring stacker toy that was not made in China! We didn't buy it, but I usually consider it such a longshot to even look at most standard plasticky toys on the shelf at a place like Walmart or Babies R Us. I admit to being more lax than you seem to be about it. Before the ring stacker discovery I wouldn't buy DS2 a toy "made in China" for his birthday but when we found something we liked not made there except for some component or other, I okayed it. It's not like he "needed" a toy like that... he's not exactly even familiar with birthday traditions at this age. But he took to it in the store and we wanted DS1 to have a chance to give him a birthday gift. Oh well. I am inspired by your commitment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 AM  

  • Err, I meant Target, not Walmart! I admit to being back-and-forth on Wal-mart avoidance though...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:59 AM  

  • Isn't it impossibly difficult to find baby/toddler toys that aren't made in China? That's something I'm too squeamish to buy at a thrift store...all the stuff in the mouths and all. If we had a dishwasher, I might feel better about being able to disinfect everything, but I don't.

    My kids love those Fisher Price Little People toys, and they are all made in China. My in-laws bought a set for each kid...one of those situations where you feel too bad to say "Please don't do that" because the kids love them so much and my in-laws are trying to hard to buy the perfect gift.

    Ah, well...no easy answers.

    By Blogger Sparki, at 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home